Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

A loss... and a win.

My dad, much to my delight, discovered Lois McMaster Bujold. He read the first Chalion book and then the entire Sharing Knife series.

Last month I bought him a Nook as an early Xmas gift [since he'd had hand surgery].

Dad read The Warrior's Apprentice [and also The Mountains of Mourning] and wants to read all the Miles books. :D

So I'm re-reading a few myself. And Jo Walton's Tor.com posts about Miles, of course.

Edited to add: Look below the break to see my feelings on this day in history, as that was when the news of Anne McCaffrey's demise. :( 





Anne McCaffrey died Monday. I keep weeping. Or sniffling... and then weeping again.

My first sf/f worlds were Pern and WitchWorld. My science teacher in 7th grade made us all choose books to read... and I chose Dragonsinger because it was thicker than Dragonsong. I loved the Bantam covers.

Charles A. Tan, bless him, has collected Anne McCaffrey tributes.

Goodbye, lady. You'll always be in my heart. Thank you so much for getting me through a really awful patch in my life, with your worlds.

I remember how I wept the first time Robinton almost died. The sky should have been dark -- not the cheery blue that lacked clouds, seen through my tears.

The sky should be dark now everywhere, no matter how melodramatic it sounds. Zair took you home, Annie.

(It is a sad comment on my feelings that although it began raining here at nightfall, and still was last I looked, that does not feel like half enough.)

No comments: